Experiments

DISPLAY CART TOTAL IN HEADER

Display Cart Total in Header

The Experiment in Action

Hypothesis

Displaying the cart item total (i.e. the total number of items added to the cart) in the header or navigation is a common practice. However, many shoppers are accustomed to this and no longer notice its presence.

Displaying the cart dollar total could reduce cart abandonment rates by reducing surprises – or “sticker shock” – when shoppers transition to the checkout page.

CONTROL – MOBILE

Display Cart Total in Header - Control

TREATMENT – MOBILE

Display Cart Total in Header - Treatment

Display Cart Total in Header Experiment

How It Works

How It Works

Once a shopper adds a product to their cart, the total dollar value of the items in the cart is displayed next to or below the cart icon on the header or navigation.
null

Why We Are Testing It

Shoppers can sometimes forget about items added to the cart. Once an item is added to the cart, this experiment makes the cart total continually visible throughout the buyer journey. This will help direct the shoppers’ focus towards completing their purchase.

Results: Display Cart Total in Header Experiment

Average performance numbers are based on results from March 19, 2019 to September 15, 2019 from 8 merchant sites.

Average Experiment Results So Far*

Device TypeAverage LiftTotal Visitors
Revenue per Visitor
(RPV)
Conversion Rate
(CR)
Average Order Value
(AOV)
TreatmentControl
Device Type: MobileMobile
+4.13%+4.73%-0.58%714,413563,641
Device Type: DesktopDesktop
+17.85%+11.92%+4.70%386,992232,513

Results: Display Cart Total in Header Experiment

Average performance numbers are based on results collected between July 27, 2018 to June 15, 2019 from 16 participating merchants sites.

Average Experiment Results So Far*

Device Type: MobileMobile
Average Lift
Revenue per Visitor
(RPV)
Conversion Rate
(CR)
Average Order Value
(AOV)
+4.13%+4.73%-0.58%

Total Visitors: Treatment: 714,413 | Control: 563,641

Device Type: DesktopDesktop
Average Lift
Revenue per Visitor
(RPV)
Conversion Rate
(CR)
Average Order Value
(AOV)
+17.85%+11.92%+4.70%

Total Visitors: Treatment: 386,992 | Control: 232,513

Distribution of Average RPV Lift for All Traffic

Distribution of Average RPV Lift - Display Cart Total in Header

The results distribution demonstrates that only 11.7% of visits had negative RPV lifts — the remaining 88.3% had modest to strong positive RPV lifts.

*These results reflect the average findings for all participating merchants and are not guaranteed for all users.

Data Analysis: Display Cart Total in Header Experiment

What It Means

What It Means

Mobile and desktop visitors saw positive lifts in Revenue per Visitor (RPV). Remember, RPV is a composite metric that combines conversion rate (CR) and average order value (AOV) in a single metric.

In this experiment, the +4.13% RPV lift was achieved largely from lifts to the conversion rate, despite a slightly negative impact on AOV. Likewise, the +17.85% RPV lift on desktop was achieved despite only modest lifts to AOV.

This suggests that visitors are more likely to complete their sale when the total cart value is displayed transparently in the header or navigation, but they may not spend as much money on each visit.

Things to Consider

Desktop visitors respond particularly well to this treatment. This could be because the elements on a desktop site don’t have to compete as much for space or attention as those on a smaller mobile screen.

Who Should Try It

This experiment could be successful on any type of eCommerce site. No data has emerged yet to suggest that any type of merchant would be less likely to achieve success.

Who Should Try It

This experiment could be successful on any type of eCommerce site. No data has emerged yet to suggest that any type of merchant would be less likely to achieve success.

Interested in Learning More?

Get deeper insights into over 130 experiments available through the Initiative.